Prince Frederik’s Battery - St. Thomas, USVI
A Danish gun battery built in ca. 1777 to protect the harbor at Charlotte Amalie. When constructed the site held a quarters building, a kitchen/latrine, ramparts, and a terraplein. The fortifications were abandoned when they were no longer needed to guard the port and currently the site is accessible from the US Virgin Islands National Park on Hassel Island.
ca. 1824 Prison - Lovingston VA
A floor plan and building specifications for this small but sturdy building (it has two foot-thick walls) were developed by Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson’s interests in architecture not only included grand buildings like the Rotunda at UVA but also more modest buildings such as this prison. The building was recently saved from possible demolition and is currently being rehabilitated into offices for the local Government.
Greenwood-Afton Rural Historic District - Albemarle County, Virginia
Looking eastward towards the Ragged Mountains from a hillside on the Blue Ridge Mountains. First settled in 1734 by Michael Woods and other Scots-Irish immigrants traveling down the Shenandoah Valley’s Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania, the district remains largely rural in nature and is filled with fields, woodlands, and peach orchards.
Poplar Forest - Forest, VA
Built between 1808 and 1816, Jefferson’s rural retreat is a distinct combination of Palladianism applied to architectural theories developed during the French Neoclassical period. Arcadia has never worked at Poplar Forest, but the house, and its ongoing restoration, continues to inspire. Photo taken 8/2012
Tiverton - Greenwood Rural Historic District, VA
An exemplary example of Neoclassical design, Tiverton was initially constructed in 1910 but it underwent a substantial renovation in 1935 after a fire destroyed much of the interior. The house was possibly designed by prominent Washington architect Waddy Wood (1869-1944) and is modeled after the White House.